Will Your Home Insurance Pay For Water Damage Repairs?

After I was involved in a large auto accident a few years ago, I realized that I was about to become innately familiar with the claims process. Sure enough, within a few months I started to receive paperwork regarding my accident, and it was really interesting to see how my insurance company handled things. I was able to save a tremendous amount of money by talking with agents about covered and non-covered claims, and it really opened up my eyes about the entire insurance coverage process. Check out this blog for great tips on saving money, living better, and receiving the coverage you need.

Will Your Home Insurance Pay For Water Damage Repairs?

26 December 2019
 Categories: Insurance, Blog

Homeowners are responsible for their homes, and this is why most homeowners purchase insurance policies on their homes. A homeowner's insurance policy is designed to protect a homeowner from damage done by covered perils, and one type of damage that might be covered with your policy is water damage. If you ever experience water damage, you might be able to receive compensation through a claim on your policy; however, home insurance does not cover all types of water damage. Here are several things to know about how a typical home insurance policy works when a homeowner experiences different types of water damage.

Damage by a flood

The first way water can damage your home is through a flood. If a flood sweeps through your town and destroys your home or even just part of it, you should know that your normal home policy is not going to cover the damages. Home insurance is not designed to cover floods and damage from floods, but there is a special type of insurance product you can buy for this. It is called flood insurance, and this is the only type of insurance that will cover damages caused by floods.

Damage from leaks or a roof collapse from ice or snow

A second way you may experience water damage in your home is when damage from snow and ice causes your roof to either leak or collapse. This type of damage might or might not be covered, as it depends on your insurance policy. In many cases, it requires adding a rider for this particular type of coverage in order to have coverage for incidents like this.

Damage from a burst plumbing pipe

In most cases, water damage you experience from a burst plumbing pipe is covered, as a problem like this can spring up out of nowhere and there is very little you can do to prevent it.

Damage from sewer backup

Damage that you experience from your sewer backing up is generally not covered under a typical home insurance policy, but it is a type of incident you can get coverage for by adding a rider. In fact, adding riders is a great way to make sure you are covered for almost all types of perils.

If you want to make sure you are covered for all these perils, talk to a homeowner's insurance agent to make sure that you have all the right types of coverages with your policy.

For more information, contact a company like ALTRE Insurance Agency Inc.